Wednesday, July 26, 2023

REVIEW: Magic Mixies Pixlings DeerLee


FINALLY. 

When I first posted these girls, I was excited to see that they had appeal with adult collectors in a way that other small doll lines haven't. However, based on an article I read recently, Moose is focusing on the reveal "experience" rather than the dolls. 

Well, I'm not gonna. 

So what can you expect from this review? The doll. You're going to see the doll and get my honest opinions about her. I'm also going to tell you how to open the doll without doing a single bit of the liquid reveal. 


So after you remove the outer layer of thin plastic, there's a packet at the back with all this crap. 

Throw it out. 

If you want to do the watery part, you can check out the influencers' reviews. I'm not gonna. What do I never want near my dolls? Colored water. No, thank you. 



The big reveal itself is pretty weak. They're literally just hiding the inner bottle with colored water and then turning the inner bottle around to show the doll. She's completely visible if I turn this bottle around. It would be kinda neat if the water was removing color from something and that was revealing her, but no. 

Anyway, twist the gold cap off and pull up. The inner bottle is attached to the gold cap. Twist the bottle off and...


...this is what you've got. 

The doll herself is on a little plastic tray that you slide out of the smaller inner bottle. The pamphlet is with her. 

Now throw all the plastic junk out. She just pops right out of that tray, which is nice. No plastic tab attachments. 


She's BEAUTIFUL. 

One reason I was so annoyed at reading the article was because they kept going on about the creation experience and never once mentioned how nice the dolls are. Stop focusing on some five-second, one-time experience and start talking about your dolls! I sincerely do not believe that parents are going to shell out $18 a pop just so their kids can play with colored water for a few seconds. The dolls matter, not the "experience." If the kids don't play with the dolls, they're not going to keep buying more. 

I love these tiny fantasy girls and I want to see them do well. So to ignore the doll's beauty just rubbed me the wrong way a lot. 


She has the cutest little ears! I love her bangs, but I also love her ears. 

Her face is gorgeous. I'm not a huge fan of the pixellation, but it's certainly the thing these days. It's not that bad except for her nose. 

Maybe someday they'll do a line with inset eyes. 

Love the gem in the forehead. 

And her antlers are molded with little flowers on them.



From the side. 

Oh, one quick note, the doll's name is DeerLee. That's so cutesy and it would have been great for a Zelf, but I prefer the original name of Willow, so mine is Willow. 




She has one long section of darker pink hair pulled back. 


The hair itself is super soft and silky. No gel here!



Here she is without the skirt. 

Not nearly as unattractive as the poor Shoppies used to be. I love that they molded flowers on her panties. 



Her boots are open-toed and they have an angle that gives the appearance of a hoof. 

I love the frog closure detail on both her top and on the boots. 



The toes of the boots are cloven. And there are flowers on the soles. 

Such amazing detail! 



Now for some size comparisons!

Willow towers over Hairdorables Brit. And her skirt is falling down. The velcro is tiny. 

No clothes-sharing here. Willow's feet are huge compared to Brit's and her hands are too large to fit through any Hairdorables armholes. 


Let's check Moose's old small doll brand: Shoppies. 

Jascenta's feet are way too high-heeled for any shoe-swapping to happen, but...



Her skirt does fit on Willow. So Shoppies skirts should fit the Pixlings. 

Willow's skirt sure doesn't fit Jascenta though. 

PROs: This is one of the most beautifully detailed small dolls I own. She's stunning. I love every bit. The hair is excellent quality. The face is lovely, even if pixellated. The details are everywhere you look and unique to the character, so we won't be seeing her gloves on Marena or something like that. I'm really looking forward to what this line will bring us.

CONs: Moose's insistence on focusing on the reveal element and wasting money on all the plastic and goopy whatnot holds this line back from its true potential. If they skipped all that, they could have articulated the knees and the wrists. While I'm far from someone who needs articulation, that is undeniably what a lot of collectors want, even out of dolls as small as this. Pixlings has the opportunity to be the first small doll line to really cross over into serious adult collector appeal. I didn't see as many adults clamoring for Shoppies or Hairdorables as much as the excitement and praise I've seen this line get in its short time. While we adults are a small percentage of toy sales, I'd still love to see them really focus on the dolls and skip the flashy mess. I think these could have easily been successful with kids without the reveal nonsense. They're adorable and detailed and the fantasy aspect is definitely buddies with Monster High's, so they could have appealed to same type of fans. 

Anyway! Long story short: I love her and I want them to do well. I'd like to see them focus on the dolls themselves as their appeal rather than anything else, and I'm hoping that doesn't eventually become detrimental to the dolls. 

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment