Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Sweet Suite Surprises

Lots of stuff to unpack from Sweet Suite! 


DISNEY ILY: Jakks had their more basic ILYs there and the Stitch fan WAS included. I've been concerned about her, since she didn't come out in stores, but if she's there, she must be coming. 


LATINISTAS: Love these. I'll be getting all but the purple one and even she's growing on me. For their low price, I could easily buy all four. 


FRESH BEATS: This is a new line by the Fresh Dolls that have bigger, cartoony eyes and larger heads. I've seen people saying they look like OMGs, but no, they do not. They don't have a pancake face. Come on. I'll be getting at leas the floral girl, but I like all three. 


RAINBOW BRITE: This is my favorite thing we've seen so far and I don't think anything will top it. Loyal Subjects has completely nailed Rainbow Brite. There's an 18" line of dolls and they had Rainbow and Stormy lying on the table. Then there's a similar 12" line of dolls that were shown in their boxes. They had Rainbow, Tickled Pink and INDIGO. Indigo is so perfect. I can't even deal with how much I love her and how excited I am for her. These dolls in the larger sizes have the cloth bodies and vinyl heads with yarn hair we know and love from the vintage line. But then...oh, but then...they made 5.5" all vinyl, rooted hair fashion dolls with a whopping 29 points of articulation. 29. I can't even figure out where they all are. They had Patty O'Green and Tickled Pink out on display with Rainbow nearby in the package. It says there are 11 pieces inside and you can see some pins and bracelets nearby, so I think they come with some cute person-sized jewelry. Patty had a ridiculously cute frog purse and Tickled had some odd thing on her head. Not sure what that was, as the 12" doll didn't have it. From what the Loyal Subjects has said before, the 5.5" dolls should be $19.99 and the lineup is Rainbow, Patty, Tickled Pink, Stormy and Lala Orange. They mention two 18" dolls, both of which are Rainbow herself, so I'm glad to see Stormy there, too. Then the 12" dolls mention Lala and Stormy but not Indigo. These should also be $19.99. And finally, there's a 3" figure line for $4.99 each. No mention of blind-packing, but I won't be surprised if they are. So we've got Indigo and Stormy both popping up where they weren't mentioned. I hope they stick with Lala Orange. I'm a little bit concerned she had nothing there. I love Lala as much as Indigo and Stormy. Stormy sadly is the brighter-haired version they've been using since...well, the vintage prototype, I guess. I never understood why they didn't match her hair to the show. But I also love Stormy, so I'll take her in any form. Really hoping this does well, so we get every character. Moonglow! Canary! Shy Violet! All the boys and horses and sprites and villains. I'm honestly surprised there were no sprites aside from the pins. Anyway, yeah, completely blown away by the quality here. I can't wait for these!


STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE: Did we know Loyal Subjects had SSC? I don't think I did. Well, they're back and these new dolls have the same 29 points of articulation body as Rainbow Brite. They showed SSC herself, both outside the package and boxed with a playset, and Raspberry Tart. Apparently, they're also doing Orange, Lemon and Blueberry. Now here's where I'm going to put my concerns. I am not convinced a 5.5" body with 29 points of articulation is going to hold up to play. How sturdy are these going to be? The smaller the doll, the less sturdy articulation is, which is one reason why most smaller dolls for little kids are simple. These things have 29 places where a kid can break them. While I want to like the idea, articulation has never been something I need, and it feels like overkill putting adult collector action figure-level articulation on a doll that says 3+ on the box. I mean, I'll give it to them for trying, but I hope they're sturdy. Parents aren't going to keep buying toys that break easily and if we want these to do well, we need the kids as well as the nostalgic adults. Adult collector money is never enough to sustain a playline. I also think this body is going to work better for Rainbow Brite. Articulation is...let's face it...not very pretty. The Rainbow Brite dolls have bulkier clothes and boots covering up all those joints except for the knees. SSC is also covered up, but her dress is kinda tight and the stockings are tight, so she looks a bit too skinny and you can see the joints through the clothes. Her legs look like twigs really. Coming down into those giant clompy shoes. The skirt on the dress needed a lot more volume. I dunno. I'm just not feeling Strawberry herself. Raspberry looks better. I'm still hopeful these are going to be made well and sell well. I'm just not nearly as excited for them as I am the Rainbow Brite line. Rainbow Brite will get so much of my money. So much. 


So that's what we've got from Sweet Suite so far. 

2 comments:

  1. Is there a spot where we can see these? I'm extra curious about the Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake dolls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.instagram.com/littlemissnonam/

      That's the original photo source.

      Delete