Tuesday, November 9, 2021

REVIEW: Monster High Skullector Greta Gremlin

 



Did I save the best for last? Why, yes, I did. 

(So much so that my internet service went down halfway through this and here I am picking it up again the next morning.)




My options for this shot were slightly blurry text with no glare or clearer text that was harder to read with a glare. 



Man, I LOVED Gremlins when it came out. I had the Gizmo plush, figures from the first movie, and two figures from the second movie: Mohawk and GRETA. So you can imagine how excited I was when Greta was revealed as the newest Skullector doll.



So excited that I splurged and bought one to open. I wish I could have done this with the Beetlejuice set, but it was just too expensive. At $60 though, I could afford two Gretas. Plus, I knew this new sculpt would be best appreciated deboxed. 

Her body is fab! I love all the color details and the sculpting. Her hands are so cool!




And her face and ears are perfection!



The box hair leaves a bit to be desired. 



So Greta comes with the stand, earrings and barrette from the above pics, plus Gizmo, her dress, belt, jacket and shoes, a purse featuring Stripe from the first movie, and her signature red lipstick. 




I washed the gel out of her hair, let her air dry, and then did a gentle brushing on the back of her hair. I left the front curl on her left unbrushed. I noticed when I was washing her hair that she had a couple snarls I wanted to brush out, but I didn't end up liking the final result. So most of these pics were taken before her final salon trip. 




Closer shot with only the dress on. 




With the belt. 




I moved her hair completely out of her face in case anyone wanted to see it that way. 

Hands are removable for easy dressing, as is typical with MH. 




Lipstick time!




Oh, hey, Gizmo.




Gizmo and her shoes. 




A final glamour shot. 




Okay, now these last few are after her second trip to the salon. I conditioned and rinsed her hair again, combed it with my fingers, and then just let her air dry. No brushing this time. 





Much happier with it now. 





Wild green curls. I really wish doll companies would do more dolls with this green. Rainbow High hasn't even done it and they're RAINBOW High. 

And one final look. 

I'm very lucky that I was able to do this and my not-so-inner child is thrilled to have such an awesome Greta doll after years  of playing with a static figurine. I pre-ordered a set of Mogwai action figures that will eventually join Greta on the shelves and I need to find my Mohawk from several years ago. She'll eventually be in a little Gremlins display. 

Now if only someone would make high quality plush from the movies. I'm eyeing some beautiful handmade ones on etsy, but they're not cheap!

Back to MH, who do you think the next Skullector character(s) might be? I think they're running low on safe options. 

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

9 comments:

  1. Well, they all seem to be falling in a certain pattern - Beetlejuice was the 80s, The Shining was the 80s, Gremlins/II was the 80s/90s, the tv movie version of It came out in the 80s (Tim Curry was awesome as Pennywise), so, if we take that into consideration, who were the top monsters for that time frame. (Odds of it happening are slim but could you imagine a child of Pinhead?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a Cenobite would be one of the few they could "pretty up" into MH style. I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  2. Most of those eras are filled with slasher movies. I mean if they did Pennywise/The Shinning, They surely can do Freddy Krueger. Maybe Chucky? E.T.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see how Freddy would translate into MH style. They still need to be pretty. A lot of the slashers are too gory or masked, so I'm not sure how well they would work. Maybe Edward Scissorhands for dark whimsical? I'd love to see Addams Family or Munsters. Dark Shadows maybe?

      Delete
    2. Ah, Dark Shadows, my guiltiest of guilty pleasures - I used to watch the reruns when it aired on the Syfy Channel. And such an array of monsters to choose from: vampires (Barnabas), werewolves (his cousin Quentin - who I'll confess was one of my early crushes, Chris), witches (Angelique), a phoenix (Laura), ghosts (Quentin, Josette), a Frankenstein inspired monster (Adam), zombies (Quentin again)

      Delete
  3. I would love to see a xenomorph inspired Monster High doll, don't know how they would do her but it is such a big classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aliens vs. Predator would be awesome, but yeah, I can't see how they'd pretty up those designs.

      Delete
  4. I'm hoping for Chucky & Tiffany from Childs's Play personally!
    But my guess is Ghostbusters given the new movie + Rebecula posting art relating to it - perhaps we'll get Zuul?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice call. Zuul would be awesome and doable.

      Delete