Wednesday, June 30, 2021

See What I Mean?

Coming on the heels of my post on different fandoms, we've got yet another example of just how toxic and entitled the doll fandoms can be. 


This was posted on Instagram by the creator/designer of Rainbow High (and Na Na Na Surprise). 

Yep, doll people are even toxic TO DESIGNERS OF DOLL LINES THEY VERY LIKELY BUY.

I'm not sure what happened, but clearly it was some sort of attack on the designer based on RH's lack of diversity. It's true. They're not diverse. They could clarify the backgrounds of students and bring in more multiracial characters, South Asians, East Asians, Muslims, Native Americans, and others that aren't already represented in the line. We've got three more gorgeous black dolls but that's not diversity. It gives us stunning dolls, but it doesn't solve the problem if there are people still lacking representation. 

That paragraph right there? That's constructive criticism presented in a civil manner. 

Doll dumbasses were so horrible to this designer that he is taking a break from social media. The level of entitlement is mind-boggling and it's almost always presented in a childish manner with unfounded accusations. We're not even talking high school drama. This is elementary level weakness. 


Drama chatter aside, let's talk about the dolls.

On the left is the rose-themed girl from Series 3. I knew she was going to be gorgeous, but she goes BEYOND. She's going to be up there with Karma and Jett for me. 

The middle girl has incredible hair. The best they've done yet. Her face, makeup and eyes are all beautiful, and I love the gloves, but mine is going to get redressed. I hate bustiers over tees and the jeans just look sloppy. She's going to look spectacular redressed though. 

And on the right, I believe they're going to do a slumber line at some point. This screams slumber clothing. Love the lips and I'm normally not a fan of painted hair wisps, but this looks good. 

So while I think it's appalling that rude people drove the designer to do this, I can't say I don't love the sneak peek. And it's legit for once!

PHOTO CREDITS:

https://www.instagram.com/mscott22/

9 comments:

  1. Okay, those are gorgeous. I don't love Rainbow Hair's outfit, but I'll be damned if I haven't seen similar outfits on some of the people coming in to work lately. Rose is stunning and I neeeeed. I'm almost sold on Icy there, but something hasn't quite come together. Could just be that giant ribbon holding her robe closed though. In any case, I'd scoop up all three immediately if given the chance. (Permission to grumble at the people bitching mightily about the braids? Like ONE doll whose hair you don't brush isn't going to kill them, right?)


    I was hoping the designer noping off social media was a summer break kind of thing and not a dammit, fandom moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do real people actually try to wear a bustier over a tee? That's got to be so uncomfortable! I'm not a jeans person anyway, but the clothes line belt is just weird. None of it looks like something fashiony.

      I rolled my eyes hard at the hair-brushing comment. So brush another doll's hair then. You don't need that feature on every doll.

      My theory on the 3rd one is that she's pearl. Pearl earrings and I can see what I think are printed pearls on her dress. Some of the slumber ones are rumored to be metallic, so I think pearl fits.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure I'd really consider it a bustier but the ones I've seen definitely at least mimic the look of one and yep, over a crop t-shirt each time and it's a choice each and every time I see it.

      I didn't even notice the belt. That's just... the only person I've seen rocking that was desperate to keep their pants up and ultimately that didn't work so it's neither fashion nor function.

      Oooh, good eye on the pearl earrings. Pearl works and yay, metallics!

      Delete
    3. That's for sure! It just can't be comfortable. I'd rather wear a corset.

      Delete
  2. I'm thinking the rightmost girl is possibly baby blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theory for her is pearl. There's more info on the slumber line here with some of their names:
      https://www.youloveit.com/dolls/2049-rainbow-high-slumber-party-dolls-marisa-golding-brianna-dulce-robin-sterling.html
      But there might be a metallic/jewel theme that pearl would fit into. She has pearl earrings and I'm pretty sure I see pearls printed on whatever she has beneath the robe.

      Delete
  3. Hey, by the way, what do you think of the upcoming Winter Break dolls? Will you be reviewing any of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure yet. I'm waiting to see them in person and my area has none. It's a lot of money for a theme I'm never that into. I'm just not a winter person, because I spent a lot of years in a heavily wintery place. I think they did a great job on a lot of the pieces, though some of the shoes are laughable. I wish they'd changed up the hair and makeup a little more though. I'm probably most tempted by Violet because I like her without bangs, but I'm also not a huge fan of glitter makeup. It's a good line, but not the best fit for me.

      I do have the twins to do eventually. And I'm eagerly awaiting Series 3! I loved Daria Roselyn in the show on Friday and I like what I've seen of the peach and ice girls in leaks.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I see. It's true that they ended up being really expensive, I live in Canada and I have yet to see what the final price point is going to be. But I'll probably end up getting Sunny. Anyways, I agree on series 3! I'm very excited to see Orchid's doll especially. Her shoes are very creative and I really want more purple dolls lol

      Delete