Monday, May 17, 2021

REVIEW: Aaru Garden


Here's something a little different, yet still decidedly up my alley. 

Aaru Garden is a set of Egyptian deity blind box figures meant to depict the gods in kindergarten. (Aaru Garden...Garten.) They're from ToysComic x Blackbox. Blackbox is one of those BJD companies that makes Egyptian BJDs, so turning them into figures likely wasn't hard but it's not something I've seen done before.


Each boxed figure is about $14. A case of 6 cost me about $113 shipped. What I'm not sure of is the packing. Most sites say the cases are packed at random, but I know one site said a case of 6 will contain the basic set of 5 figures and then 1 more, which MIGHT be a rare or might be a double of the basic. I got the full set of 5 basics plus 1 rare, so this seems feasible. 


These guys are pretty big. I've seen them listed as 3.15 inches/8 cm. I think that's without the ears in Anubis and Seth's cases.

Love the gold-tipped tail on Anubis. This is the basic one.

The ultra rare is an Anubis with a set of scales, and he's made of sterling silver with some gold-plated bits!



Here's Bast. (Or Bastet.)




I adore the cat ears on the sistrum. 


One of the three regular rares is a white Bast that's just lovely. 




Here's Ra.




And Horus. 



Together. 


And from the back. 

This is my only real complaint about this set. Why have two falcon deities? Why? Sure, Ra and Horus are important, but there are only 5 characters in this set. Use Thoth if you want another bird. Or Sobek with his crocodile head. And then they made them both white, too. Meh.



Here's my boy, Seth. 

Well, Anubis is also my boy, but Seth is REALLY my boy since so many people get the wrong idea of him. 



Eee! The forked tail!


I love his little clawed feets, too. So cute. 



Another reason Seth is my boy. 

This is an official Aaru Garden promo. See the first tan picture in the middle there where Seth is lying down?

That's MY photo. It's my Facebook header and my profile photo in a lot of places. If it's online anywhere, it was either put there by me or stolen from me and put up. It was taken for me by the two girls from the Canary Islands that I worked with in Egypt in 2004/2005. They saw him and took his picture for me in case I didn't see that particular one and shoot it myself. (And I didn't, so I'm grateful.) 





So it makes even more sense that the sixth figure was...IRON BONE SETH. 




He is so badass! I'm in love.


*eternal squealing*

And that's Aaru Garden. I adore these. So happy they made them! I'm always after more cool Egyptian stuff and this is some of the coolest. 


PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

4 comments:

  1. Usually I don't see doll collectors talk about these blind box figures. I like this line, but I'm a sucker for blind box figures in recent years, especially Pop Mart but I'm branching out into other brands like this one. I got my favorite, Anubis, but the whole collection looks really nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love them but can't afford a lot. I'm an Egyptologist so I'm a sucker for anything Egyptian, especially if Seth and Anubis are involved.

      Delete
  2. Is there any way to buy specific figures or are we stuck with the luck of the draw? My daughter is in love with little Anubis! I would buy a full set for her, but I don't want 5 of the same lol.

    ReplyDelete