Thursday, November 14, 2019

REVIEW: My Little Pony Pony Life Magical Mane Rarity

The pony collector community has been in an uproar the past few days over this new style of toy.

There was an official announcement yesterday that there would be a new show with the G4 (Friendship Is Magic) characters coming in 2020. The animation style is even more exaggerated than the typical G4 style and people are freakin' up in arms.

Now let me tell you something. I've been collecting since I was a kid, when the original ponies came out. I've been in the collecting community every time there's been a new version. And every time it's the same damn thing. People complain about change. That is the true constant in the MLP fandom. "Oh, is there a new version? We're going to hate it."

I guess I'm different in that I don't mind change one bit. I've liked every gen of ponies. (Yes, even G3.5.) I like this one, too.

I pre-ordered all the small ponies on Amazon, except Trixie, who was either already out of stock or had never been in stock. I had the bigger Pinkie in there, too, but cancelled her. I really don't need a lot of bigger ponies.

However, Rarity and Rainbow Dash have been left out of the first release, being replaced by Trixie and a new character called Potion Nova.



So I opted to do something a little out of collecting character and buy the big gimmicky pony. This Magical Mane Rarity is the only one actually in stock right now. She was $21.49, so she's not cheap either.

Rarity comes with a brush with foldable handle, a spray bottle and a little packet filled with 10 mystery accessories. The blind bag craze has even stretched into regular toy accessories now, I guess.

Rarity's mane and tail are connected, so when you pull on one to make it longer, the other shortens.




The white streaks in her hair are white in warmer temps, but if you spray them with cold water, they turn blue. (I like this because the white looks good in her hair and the blue reminds me of Glory.)

Or if she sits outside in the package hub in the cold weather, they're blue. They were blue when I opened the box. Heh.

I like the little furry bits above the hooves. I like the big eyes and cute face.

Her hair is decent condition, though it could be fuller, but with the gimmick, possibly it can't.



The 10 surprises are 3 hairbands, 6 barrettes and a sticker. I presume that's a sticker anyway. Yay for Opal.

I don't mind these because they're good for other dolls. I can always use bands like that because older dolls' hairbands break all the time. And the barrettes are pretty cute.


I don't have all my pony stuff out, but I was able to find these guys to pose with new Rarity to show how huge she is.

I'm looking forward to more from this line. I realized that the reason I like it so much is that it reminds me of the art of Jay Fosgitt, who was my favorite artist on the pony comic. (That I sadly fell behind reading a long time ago.)



Not exactly the same, of course, but there's a similarity.


Yep, bring me on some new style pony toys, Hasbro.

How about Maud in this style? Please?

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine. Comic panels from MLP issue #29.

1 comment:

  1. I love the new style, reminds me of G3.5, which I also really loved.

    The animated style/movement looks too zany for my liking though...

    ReplyDelete