Monday, October 14, 2019

BOXED IN REVIEW: Disney Designer Midnight Masquerade Esmeralda

I'm doing a little something outside the box tonight, which actually turns out to be something INside the box.

I don't think I've ever reviewed a doll that I was keeping boxed, simply because I very, very rarely do this.

I have never been big into any of the limited edition Disney Store dolls. The series started out amazing. The original 17" Snow White from 2009 was one of the most beautiful Disney dolls I've ever seen. I did get Tiana, but was very disappointed in how cartoony and goofy she looked. I stopped collecting right then and there. Some of the dolls did indeed come out lovely, like Gothel, Alice and the Queen of Hearts, but the majority I just didn't like and definitely not for that price.

I never got into the Designer collection either. The designs were mostly nice, but some of them still looked goofy and not worth the price point.

Then recently, someone posted the photos of the current Midnight Masquerade designer collection.

The pairs were okay. I do love that they included Giselle, but no thank you, secondary market pricing.

Then I saw the regular line. Belle. Again. Cinderella. Again. Rapunzel. Again.

Esmeralda.

Wait, what?

MEGARA.

WHAT.

Disney FINALLY remembers these two exist, only to put them in a limited edition designer $130 doll line.



I did manage to get my hands on Esmeralda, who released on the 5th. So as you can see from the photos, this isn't going to be a full-on review, because I am not taking her out of the box. She's positioned beautifully in it and the plastic covering will keep dust off her gelled hair.

The box has an outer liner, which is lovely, but is sitting in my closet because it completely hides the doll.

Apologies for the picture quality, but this was a spur of the moment review and I had to shoot it in my toy room, because it's late.





This is how I have her displayed, only on the top of one of my bookcases. The presentation is just perfect. She looks nicely in motion and I couldn't do that with her deboxed and, as I said, she's protected from dust this way, because her hair is certainly loaded with gel.

The colors are gorgeous. The details are gorgeous.







A little better shot of the back.






Numbered certificate.






Stunning! I actually have never owned an Esmeralda doll. I always meant to get her, but never did.

This one was worth waiting for.





All the lovely (gelled) curls.





So many pretty colors!





The mask.







A bit closer on that gorgeous face. I love her expression.


And finally, they did her shoes justice. She is NOT wearing heels. They're little flat red slippers. Perfect!

Overall, I'm pleased with her. I'm happy to support a forgotten character and you can bet I'll be getting a Megara when she releases. She's the one I really want! I wish they'd add them to the regular lineup, so more people could get them.

If you asked me if the $130 quality was there though, it's honestly hard to say because I didn't debox her. For that, I could get an Azone doll, so compared to those, I'd say no. They're not on the same par. But this is Disney. You're paying for the name as well as the product when you buy their stuff.

I am happy I bought her, but designer dolls are definitely not a line I will be pursuing! Only for the forgotten characters.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment