Wednesday, March 1, 2023

REVIEW: Corolle Girls Series 1 Melody


I pre-ordered two of these when Amazon first had them up for I believe $15.50. Yeah, I thought that was too good to be true. Corolle is not a cheap brand. I used to see them in FAO all the time when I lived in NYC. Needless to say, they never shipped my orders and never got these dolls in stock themselves at all. You have to get them 3rd party and they cost around $30-$35. I finally got around to grabbing Melody here, who was my favorite from the first series. 

There is a new series out that is called Shopping Surprise and they come with 2 outfits. The first is a long-sleeved top and pants, and the second is a simple tank dress. It's because I saw those that I bought Melody, as I preferred her Series 1 look. I did preorder Zoe from the shopping line, so we'll see when she comes out. 




So these are fairly straightforward dolls. The usual points of basic articulation. Four different girls: two white, one black, one ambiguous tan. 

One unusual thing about them is that they have Bratz-style pop-off feet, which isn't exactly common these days. 




This is Melody after a salon treatment. Her hair isn't terrible, but it's not great either. It's definitely not the hair of a $30+ doll with only basic articulation. 

Her hoodie dress is a lovely color. Oddly enough, the hood doesn't open in any way. You know how they typically velcro? So getting it on and off wasn't the easiest thing. A bit strange for a line for younger kids. 



With a name like that, it should come as no surprise that Melody is the one that's into music. 

And apparently, roller-blading. 

She stands quite easily on her own, which surprises me a bit. Her hip joints are quite loose. 

Also surprising is that she has molded underwear but they're not painted. Slap some paint on there, Corolle. That's not exactly a long dress. 



She is incredibly cute though. I love her overall look. 

She has itty bitty pink heart earrings that are removable. I honestly thought they were molded on until I noticed the shopping dolls have removable earrings. I am not touching those. I would lose one in a second. 


Aesthetically, I think she's great. Love her skintone and hair color combined with the warm yet bright shade of the dress. Love the art on the dress and the black boots. The dog is really cute. (They all have the same dog in different colors.) 

Quality-wise, this is not a $30+ doll. Her hair isn't great. She doesn't come with that much. For $30, I would at least like good hair and either fabric panties or some shorts under that dress. It's an expensive company, as I said, but at this price point, I expect more. You can't just slide by on your name alone. 

I'll buy one or two here and there, but this isn't a line I would actively collect. 

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment