Thursday, March 23, 2023

Here we go again.

MATTEL: Hey, come join our cool Monster High fan club! It's only ten bucks and there will be products that are members only, amongst other perks! Look, it's Ghoulia!

"FANS:" MEMBERS ARE GUARANTEED FAN CLUB DOLLS.

MATTEL: No, we said there will be access to fan club exclusives, not that every single club member will get one. We wouldn't promise something that unrealistic. 

"FANS:" YOU LIED. YOUR COMPANY IS GREEDY. WAHWAHWAH.


Eeyeah, once again, people never fail to amuse me. There's the group that somehow thought the $9.99 membership INCLUDED the Ghoulia doll. That's a special level of illogical. Now there are the people attacking the company because they somehow got the idea club members were guaranteed this doll. How would that even work, y'all? Come on. They already had a set number in mind for production ages ago. "Access to exclusive items" does not mean a guarantee. 

5 comments:

  1. People need to learn how to read.
    Like, I try to be understanding of people not liking the membership concept, but most things were clearly explained. (A couple of times even, for the people in the back.).
    I personally can't stand that they yell at people who can't help it. I don't frequent the Mattel Creations Forums, but those poor mods are not having a good time.
    And I probably should be the last one saying it, but at some point people gotta realize that it's JUST DOLLS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get not liking the point of a paid fan club. I do think the comments about "people can't afford that in this economy" are ridiculous though. If you can't afford $10, you're not going to be buying $50-$75 dolls. A minor added expense doesn't work when it's a fraction of the cost of the luxury items you're already buying.

      I just skimmed the forums and the comments there are nothing compared to IG. (Of course.)

      IG and the forums remind me of why I love this blog and being away from "fans" the majority of the time. The forums honestly don't even look that bad, but I just don't want to deal with that many people anymore.

      Delete
    2. Saaaame. At some point it just veers into entitlement.

      And yeah, you're probably right that the forums are not that bad. It's mostly just ignorance over vitriol, which is its own headache but far more tolerable. And I've avoided IG because all I've heard were horror stories so I can't tell but I'm more then willing to take your word for it.

      Delete
    3. I avoided IG until I got that early G3 Cleo and decided the world needed to see her glory. Now I throw pics over there with links back to reviews here mostly. Nothing major. But when I get bored, I skim the "explore" tab, because I've found some amazing plush makers and other artists that way, and the MH fuckery is unavoidable. I love MH and what it did for the doll world, but I also never encountered the level of entitlement some of these people have until after MH existed. MH bred awesomeness, but it also bred that mess.

      Delete
    4. Yeah... Monster High is one of my fave things ever but I also recognize that it brought out the worst in a lot of people.

      Delete