Tuesday, March 6, 2018

RANKING: My Little Pony G3 Birthflowers

June Rose
In 2006, a special set of Toys R Us exclusive birthday ponies came out. They'd already done birthstones, so now it was time for birthflowers. 

I somehow never noticed these ponies or if I did, I saw mine and was disappointed, so I never collected them, but I rediscovered them when I rediscovered G3s in 2016 and I've had the full set awhile now, though only tonight did I photograph the last two arrivals. 

I decided it would be fun to rank them, as my weird orderly brain likes to do. 

Each birthflower has a tri-color mane with one of those colors repeated in her tail. They have eyes with a highlight color and a heart, star or dot. 

So starting with my least favorite: June Rose. June is a nice yellow pony with pink, yellow and light pink in her mane. Her tail is the darker pink. Her eyes are turquoise with a lighter turquoise highlight and a pink heart. June is a pretty pony, but she's a bit boring. I honestly think she would have stood out more if she was pale pink and not yellow. 

April Daisy
My mom's an April, so this is one I always look out for. I actually got April and September (me) both boxed fairly early in my collecting of these and it's kind of obvious why. They're not very interesting. 

April's the same pink as a load of other ponies. (I think she would have been so much better if she was orange, yellow and white.) She's got a lavender, pale pink and regular pink mane with a lavender tail. Her eyes are lavender with a yellow highlight and pink star. Mine's mane falls really nicely and I like her eyes, so that and the less boring pose put her above June Rose. 

September Aster

This is likely why I never collected these. I was irritated mine was pink and purple so I ignored all of them. Unlike Daisy, I can see why they went with this color combo for an aster though.

September's a regular purple pony with a dark pink, lavender and regular pink mane. The regular pink repeats in her tail. She's the only one to use the dark pink in the front of her mane, which is actually a pretty neat color. Her eyes are turquoise with a yellow highlight and pink star. They give her a nice pop of extra color. I ranked her above April because of the unusual dark pink streak in her mane and the pretty eyes. 

October Calendula
October's the second yellow pony we've seen, but she's got a more monochromatic thing going on, which I prefer to June Rose and her pink. October's mane is a golden yellow none of the others use plus white and butter yellow. The golden yellow is also used for her tail. Her eyes are green with a light blue highlight and a yellow star. 

October is by no means a boring pony, so there's a large gap between her and the bottom three in my eyes. 

December Poinsettia
  



December is a lovely pony that would have benefitted from a more interesting pose. This early pose kinda bores me, so I judge more harshly that way. Then again, the competition is stiff from here on out. I think she also suffers from being a mint green pony with pink in her mane like Minty. 

So yes, December is mint green and her mane is quite a light pink, white and darker red. This is a more pinky-toned red than January's. Her tail is light pink and her eyes are green with a light green highlight and a pink dot. Cute, but can't compete with the others above her. Although if she was red like a stereotypical poinsettia, she'd probably be my favorite.

May Lily of the Valley

These were getting to be some hard choices. I think May was the second last of these I bought. She was not easy to find and it's easy to see why, because she's quite colorful and pretty. Lily of the valley are some of my favorite flowers, too. 

May is a light sky blue with a pink, white and green mane and a pink tail. Her eyes are green with a blue highlight and a pink heart. She's awesome. I love her. 

November Chrysanthemum





And November is the pony that just barely beat her out. I had a hard time picking between these two. November though is the most colorful of the twelve and she's just neat-looking. Her body is an unusual shade of light pinky-purple, so that alone makes her stand out, but then there's the bright mane with its medium pink, sky blue and bright yellow and the blue tail, and she's just all colorful. Her eyes are a lighter shade of sky blue with a yellow highlight and pink heart. I'm also a fan of the Seaspray pose, so that and her more unusual, brighter color scheme beat out May. 

July Larkspur


July is the sleeper hit of this set. I didn't expect to love a purple and pink pony, but I do. It helps that she and May, too, are in the Waterfire post. I do love Waterfire. July was the last one to join my collection. Not easy to find at all! 

July is light pink with a purple, light pink (almost white) and wine purple mane and a wine purple tail. I saw the "wine purple" description on a pony ID site and it's perfect. I'm a huge fan of that color, so that helps her rank as high as she does. Her eyes are neon green with a bright purple highlight and a pink dot. They're gorgeous eyes. 

January Carnation

July almost edged this girl out, but she has one particular weapon: her mane. January may be just a white pony, but in this set, both the white ones are heavy hitters. Her mane is a dusty pink (repeated in the tail), pale pink and this dark red that makes me think of Moondancer. It's a different shade than December's, but closer to that than anything else. And a white pony with a Moondancer red streak? You know she's gonna rank high. January also has her own new pose that's really pretty. September has the same pose, which also gave her a bit of an edge over the two that were below her. January's eyes are turquoise with a matching lighter highlight and a pink star. 

February Violet

I think this girl was the first one to arrive when I was collecting these. She's one I went right for, because she's gorgeous. She's got the lavender body with a lavender, white and dark purple mane and lavender tail. Her eyes pop because they're green with a lighter green highlight and a lavender heart. Violet's secret weapon is her pose. Not only is she gorgeous colors, but she's in Beachberry's pose and that's my favorite pose. 

August Gladiolus

I barely pick between these last two, so they're practically tied for first. August is the other powerhouse white pony like January. Her mane is light pink, yellow and that lovely dusty pink January also used. Her tail is light pink and her eyes are turquoise with the lighter turquoise highlight and a yellow heart. Basically, January's eyes except for the yellow heart instead of a pink star. August edges out January for two reasons though. She's in the Beachberry pose and she's got that yellow pop. Mine's just got a gorgeous mane, too. 

March Daffodil




Who knew my number one would be a yellow pony? March has the distinct advantage of nostalgia though. Her color is the same shade as the filling in buttercream candies from my favorite childhood chocolate shop, so she makes me think of delicious candy every time I see her. Her mane is butter yellow, white and very light pink and her tail is the butter yellow. Her lovely lime green eyes have a yellow-green highlight and a pink dot. March is in Seaspray's pose like November and it suits her really well. She's just adorable.

So there are my rankings of the birthflowers. I was having a bit of anxiety and this helped me relax, which is what I've needed after the work week I've had. I hope you enjoyed my pony rambling!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment