Thursday, August 12, 2021

REVIEW: Honey Bee Acres Playground Pals Set


Oh, nostalgia. I loved me some Sylvanian Families when I was a kid. Yes, yes, I know they still exist (as Calico Critters here in the US and I've never liked that name as well), but I also love lines clearly inspired by them. I like the Li'l Woodzeez, but they've never been quite as cute. Honey Bee Acres though? Definitely very cute. They're more stylized than my precious Sylvanians, but are they adorable? Absolutely. And affordable! This set of 9 figures was only $19.97.



Here are all the character names. 



 

Here are the five characters in pants. Well, only Shadow the black bear is in pants. The other four get overalls. Calvin the dog and Leo the white cat are both male, while Misty the unicorn and Coco the white bunny are female. Nice to see some female characters in pants. 

The females all have little eyelashes on their eyes so you can differentiate. 



Then we've got the four girls in dresses: Pippa the mouse, Willow the fox, Hoot the owl (low-hanging name fruit there, Sunny Days Entertainment...come on), and Lulu the cow. 


These are my four favorites. (Pippa the mouse is close behind them. I should have added her here, too.) 

When you're picking these out, check for flocking damage. All the other Shadows had damage, so I took this set, because he's my overall favorite and flocking damage really shows because he's the darkest one. I'm not sure open packaging was the best idea for this line. 



Let's look at some butts. Every character has a tail. 



I'm not sure why Shadow has a bunny tail. These tails are all fabric. I honestly have no idea what they were going for with Misty's tail there.


And the short but sculpted tails. 

So yeah, these are adorable and affordable. I won't be buying a ton of them, but I'll probably pick up some of the individual babies when I see them. I do love this set because I would have definitely bought a set like this for Sylvanians when I was a kid. It's not a ridiculous price and you get so many different characters! 

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

2 comments:

  1. I got the baby unicorn last week, then my mom bought me the baby bunny, and I bought the baby cow tonight. I've checked two Walmarts for this set now! I do love Misty so much and hope a unicorn family follows.

    I collect Sylvanians/Calicos/Woodzeez, and actually found the Honey Bee stuff while I went to look for blind bags last week. I love having a new line of characters and buildings. It's great to have diversity I'll never seen in either of the other lines (I mean, unicorns? that'll never happen, and I love getting the same type of animal in a slightly different style, which is probably a holdover from the My Little Pony days, when the fakies were as valid a part of my herd as the real deal.

    I also managed to see the General Store today, and I definitely want it! I've been considering the Calico Critters store, or the Woodzeez Farmer's Market, which I can never FIND, since my business district with the Critter set up is pretty small (Dixie's Diner, the Cake Shop, the Woodzeez Ice Cream Parlor and a police station from a knockoff Little People line that's in their scale. I also can't wait to see the houses and I'm in LOVE with the pictures of the van. I've always wanted a VW bus, and now my Critters can have one!

    It's helpful to know the boy and girl figures look a little different and that you are able to tell them apart. This just makes me want the set even more...guess I have to keep looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely adorable and a nice price point. They're in stock on Walmart.com if you want to order.

      Delete