Tuesday, September 8, 2020

REVIEW: Secret Crush Minis


I wanted to try a couple new products today and MGAE's Secret Crush is one of them. 

These are in the $10 range, depending on which store you buy them from. 

I wish I'd done a bit of research, but it was honestly just a whim this morning. There's not a simple hack or codes, but there is a 2-part hack. 


I managed to skip taking a picture of the checklist, but it's MGAE, so you know these have an elaborate website and you can see the characters there.

These were not fun to open. You have to cut all the pink loops. Then you can pull the lid off and the hammer loose. 

You use the hammer to smash the colored heart part. That's the first part of the hack. You can pretty easily see the color of this smashable heart. If you go on the website or look at your checklist, you'll see each character has a colored heart with their name in it. That color matches the smashable heart. So this one here is Bebe Bear, who has the only yellow heart. 



Crushing the heart reveals the bead tray. That's the second step of hacking these. You use a flashlight to candle the box and you should be able to see the bead shapes. If you look at the website or checklist, each doll's art has a heart as a background and the little items in that heart are the beads that come with them. So Bebe had round bears and ones shaped like gummy bears. 

So yeah, that's the hack. ID the smashable heart color and match it to the one you want. Then use a light to ID the beads and figure out which doll is in there. I plan on trying this the next time I go back to Walmart, since I really only want one more character. 






That settled, the packaging is super cute. I love that everything looks like candy wrappers. 



The doll's head is packaged separately from her body pieces. 

The arms and legs are articulated.





Quite easy to put together.






And to dress. 

These don't look like Lalaloopsy, but those are the vibes I'm getting regardless.




Her hair pieces were in the long string of packets. 


Then you open the bead tray, fill the hair pieces, close them, and attach them to the doll's head. 

This wasn't the easiest thing ever, as you can imagine with a bunch of teeny round beads. 

They also all don't fit. You're supposed to put some on the lanyard, I think. 


I didn't take pics of the second one step by step. She has a purple smashable heart. Turns out so does the one I really want! Ugh. So close. 

This is Fizzy Lizzy. She has a lot of star and sphere beads, so I had to leave several out to close her hair compartment. 




Really cute!

They're both a lot cuter than I expected.


I say I won't buy more than just the one I want, but...I am weak after all. We'll see!


PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

16 comments:

  1. I think they are cute but many of them have very silly hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got Nilla Scoops and Holly Lolly, they are really cute! the hack it's not an easy one, but I will try to get one of the purple hearted girls because I like the 3 of them. Which is the other character you are looking for? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krystal Rox is the one I want. It's actually pretty easy to see the smashable heart color. I tried it in Target a couple days ago. It's angling the beads so you can see them that's the hard part. I did manage to ID 3 though and none of them were Krystal.

      Delete
    2. Good luck! not sure if this is happening to the US dolls, but the ones in Europe (or at least the ones I bought in Spain, my country) does not have the special shaped beads. My Nilla Scoops has broken hearts instead of bananas, and my Holly Lolly has hearts instead of the candy beads. It's a bit disappointing and makes the ID much more difficult :( !

      Delete
    3. What? Oh, no! Is it possible they're just errors? That's so weird. I don't know why they'd change them.

      Delete
    4. I don't think it's an error if it happens twice. In fact, the small beads of my Nilla Scoops were blue and white instead of blue and pink. Maybe it was a way to make them cheaper? A friend got Bella Bubbles and that one was ok (but she has just round beads). Also I'm surprised there are variations nowadays between dolls in the US and in Europe, as usually the factory it's the same for the whole production.

      Delete
    5. Yeah, that seems really strange. Huh.

      Talking to you has made me want to go buy more! Maybe later this week...

      Delete
    6. Haha I went today to the toy shop and grabbed some more. Definitely their beads are different to yours (no gummy bears for my Bebe Bear, same with the sample they have unboxed in the shop). Is the hair of your Bebe Bear sticky? mine is super glossy but sticky. I really think those have been produced on a different factory, I'm a bit disappointed because I love the line.

      Delete
    7. That's crazy weird. I wonder if they have a manufacturing country stamped on them like Monster High used to.

      Bebe's hair isn't sticky at all. Ugh. So strange.

      Delete
  3. I got Krystal Rox by peeking through the pink plastic and I noticed it really stands out because the candy wrappers for her character look like rock candy of course, I never grabbed it so fast! I hope you get her soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, how do you mean? Are the packages jagged?

      Delete
  4. I really like these dolls, they are very reminiscent of lala loopsies to me too. I love that their hair ends up looking like a gum ball machine. The only thing I’m disappointed by is that all the skin tones are pretty light, at least on the checklist. The rock candy girl is probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like these dolls, they are very reminiscent of lala loopsies to me too. I love that their hair ends up looking like a gum ball machine. The only thing I’m disappointed by is that all the skin tones are pretty light, at least on the checklist. The rock candy girl is probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like these dolls, they are very reminiscent of lala loopsies to me too. I love that their hair ends up looking like a gum ball machine. The only thing I’m disappointed by is that all the skin tones are pretty light, at least on the checklist. The rock candy girl is probably my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! They could definitely do with some more diversity.

      Delete