Thursday, February 16, 2023

PLUSHIE SPOTLIGHT: Charlie Bears

Oodles

My longest active collection actually isn't dolls. It's plush, stuffed animals, plushies, whatever you like to call them. I had breaks from doll collecting over the years when more of my money went to action figures, comic books or My Little Pony. But I've always loved plush. I had a ton of them when I was growing up. Way more than dolls or other toys. 

So I thought I'd spend some time doing posts on different companies and what they have to offer. 

I'd be silly not to start with my primary collection: Charlie Bears. I've been collecting these since 2016, but they get the majority of my fun money every year. Yep, way more than dolls, considering a full series of, say, Rainbow High dolls about equals one CB sometimes. 

Rum Baba






Charlie Bears have multiple types of collections within the full assortment of each year. There is the regular plush collection, which are jointed bears in many sizes and materials. The Bearhouse line is high quality plush, but they're not jointed. The mohair are the really expensive ones. Then there is the Secret Collection, sold through stockists, shopping channels like QVC, and the CB Direct websites. These are surprise additions that appear throughout the year. Related to those are PAW Store exclusives, which are limited to CB Direct and select stockists that qualify as PAW Stores. Finally, there are Cuddle Time exclusives, which are only sold during the multiple Cuddle Time shows during the year. 


Danuta

 


The regular plush collection has a lot of varied sizes and a wide price range. Prices have gone up in recent years. CBs are not cheap on the whole. The most reasonable from this year's collection is a 7.5" bear for $35. There are several in the $50-$70 range, but these are mostly the smaller bears. There are huge standing bears for over $300 and even the occasional almost 4-foot bear for over $800. 



Zach










Material is a huge factor in the bear's price. There is an incredibly soft, lush plush fabric that they use called Tyber. It's simply amazing and very calming just to run your fingers through. Bears with this fabric will cost more.



Galileo
 





There are also bears that are referred to as plumo, which means they're mostly plush, but with little hints of mohair. It's typically on the bear's muzzle and the linings of their ears. I think I have one with a bit on the toes. These tend to be pricier, because of the mohair. 



Dandy










Charlie Bears do many different types of animals in the regular plush line, too. The big cats are quite popular. 




Embers







Though for maximum popularity, you cannot beat the dragons. They all have a similar style, but different sizes and colors, and they sell out extremely fast. 

Turret










The gargoyles were also extremely popular. I'm lucky enough to have all of them, as the dragons and gargoyles were some of my big faves from these past couple years. 



Botticelli










I don't have many mohair bears. They're simply too expensive for me. But I love the few I do have. My largest is a standing bear named Botticelli. 



Peashoot







Teeny tiny Peashoot is my only minimo. These were a smaller collection of mohair that were more affordable due to their tiny size. 





Plum Crumble








Plum Crumble is one of my few Cuddle Time bears. I was lucky to be able to grab her. She was definitely an unplanned purchase, but she might be my favorite mohair. 

Charms











The popular dragons also exist in mohair form. 





Dringle





And finally, we have the Bearhouse line. These, again, are the non-jointed plush that are a bit more reasonable in cost. Charlie likes to experiment with many different kinds of animals within this line. 

Dringle the sloth is one of my favorites. 




Chester









Chester is a tree kangaroo. He's the first Bearhouse that I own that uses Tyber plush! 




Kuma








Charlie Bears are definitely my primary collection. I love my dolls to pieces, but if I had to cut back more to afford my bears, it would be an easy choice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment