Tuesday, March 24, 2020

OVERVIEW: Hot Locks

I meant to take more pictures of my collection of this small line, but I never did. So this old photo of Nahla in the package is the only one I have of one of my girls boxed.

Hot Locks were a small line made by Wow Wee/Think Wow and released in spring 2010. I'm not sure they got a wide release. I was able to pinpoint their release time frame by 3 blog entries/giveaways done by your typical mom and kid type of blog.

The dolls were offered both in basic and deluxe forms and, according to one blog, were $7.99 and $12.99.

The basic dolls, like Nahla here, came with 3 barrettes and a comb, while the deluxe had a larger hair tool plus a comb, 4 small barrettes, 1 larger barrette with hair extension, and 6 fabric hair ties.



I posted Nahla in my Flickr in December 2016. I got her on ebay, along with Kai, and for the longest time, these were the only two dolls I owned from this line.

Nahla is decidedly the easiest one to find. If you look online, you can probably find her. I'm guessing it's because she's the only one without the 14" of hair the other dolls boast on their packaging.



I think the giant blonde afro is a great design, but in a line whose point seems to be hair length, it maybe wasn't the best choice.

The dolls have a lot of sculpted details in the molded parts of their hair and on their outfits.

Nahla has two different boot decorations.



Flower on one, ribbons on the other.

These girls are jointed in the usual places: neck, shoulders and hips. Their waists almost appear jointed, but that's just an indented space for the rubber skirt to fit into.




Here's her backcard, which I kept!

One of my favorite little details about this line is that the girls are described both with their positive traits but also at least one flaw.

I like that Nahla is the shy, intelligent one, but apparently also an actress. And her flaw is forgetfulness.





Here's Nahla with Skylar from the Hairdorables line for a size comparison. They're a little shorter than Hairdorables with much smaller heads.





Moving across the back of the package, the next basic doll is Harlow Spoole. Their last names aren't listed on the packaging, but some of the old sales listings I found included them. Except for Nahla's. She's the only basic I couldn't find a last name for.

I don't have Harlow sadly, so this is my only pic of her.



Next up is Ami Jones, who's my favorite. I love her color combination!

I was lucky to find Ami, Ryann and Iris from a seller on ebay a few months ago. All were boxed, but I didn't take any photos of them. I did keep some of the backcard for each though.








Ami is an odd combination of pink super girly and sporty.






Love the sculpted detail in her hair.




This is the portion of her backcard that I kept. The bottom was the same on all the dolls, so I just clipped the top for her.

Ami is kind-hearted, determined and loves sports. Her flaws are my favorites of all the ones I've seen: "slightly suspicious of people" and "easily bored." Ha! Love it.





The final basic doll pictured on the package is Lily Presbee.

I really want this one! Hopefully someday I can find her.



And then we've got the anomaly that is Iris. Iris is the fifth basic doll, who was never shown on any packaging that I've seen so far. Not even her own!

I can't find any mention of her online either.



The best I can find is this promo image of packaging mockups that was used on a New Zealand giveaway page.

Nahla is not there and Iris is in her place, so perhaps in some locations, she was offered instead of Nahla.



I love the molded detailing on her. The butterflies are really cute.

I think she's the least attractive of the dolls though from the standpoint of head shape. Her molded hair just makes her head look really blocky. Ami pulls it off without that effect, but Iris doesn't quite.



I like her different footwear.

I have no idea how I got her to free stand on a single foot, considering how oversized her head is and how long her hair is!



Iris's main quality is that she's high-spirited. I find it amusing that she's "athletically-gifted." I wonder if that means Ami isn't, even though she's the one that loves sports.

Iris's flaws are that she's gullible and slightly clumsy. Wonder how that clumsiness combines with athletically-gifted.


Moving on to the deluxe dolls, we have Kai. I bought her from ebay UK and she arrived back in January 2017. Back then, she was the only doll available other than Nahla and then I saw no others until a few months ago.

I love Kai's boots!




She is super cute. Excellent color scheme. I want Lily so they can hang out together.

I bought Kai open, so I don't have her backcard, but the seller I bought the others from does have her, too, so she: cares passionately about the environment, loves recycling and being green, loves helping save the town's wetlands, and isn't afraid of holding frogs and lizards. Wow. We get it. She's environmental. Her flaw? She can be bossy and loud.




Next on the box is Sydney. I don't own her, so here's a teeny tiny photo of her I found online.





Then comes Ryann. I do have her! I really love her neon red, black and white color scheme. And the panda theme.





I love Ryann. She's my second fave after Ami. Kai would be tied with her, but I think there's still the excitement of finally having more of these after so long, so I'm favoring the newbies. Except poor Iris. Heh.






Here's her backcard. She's all over the place. A techie artist who loves Asian fashion. I love her flaw of being "a bit of a loner."







The final deluxe doll is Morgan.





I found this image on Pinterest. I guess this was the Curl and Style Salon. I can't find any other info about it, so I don't know if it was ever released or not. I hope so because I'd love to find it someday! That doll is adorable.

So that was Hot Locks. If you have any info or photos of dolls I didn't mention here, please comment!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine. Promo images from Google searches. Others as noted.

1 comment:

  1. These are so cute, and I didn't even know they existed!

    If I'd known they did around the time they were out, I'd have loved to collect these.

    Thanks for all the info and pictures!

    ReplyDelete