Friday, May 17, 2024

VINTAGE REVIEW: My Beautiful Doll Maribeth


In 1989, Hasbro produced a line of large dolls called My Beautiful Doll. 

I'm not sure what height I was thinking, but this lady is a whopping 17.5" tall! Yep, almost American Girl height. Much smaller scale though. She's like half the width of an AG body. 

I've always liked Maribeth and one other from this line, but I recently got back into vintage toys a bit more than I have been lately, and I couldn't resist making an offer on her. I got her for $25 shipped. I feel a little bad because I doubt the seller made any money on her after fees and shipping, but I honestly did not expect them to take the offer! (I usually start a bit low and we go back and forth.) 




The 80s...when everything was hazy. 





Still hazy. 




This is giving me serious Sleepover Friends nostalgia.




All of them come with a locket. 


And this comb is seriously epic. 


"Who's in your locket, Maribeth?"

"ME! So what?"


Again, epic comb. The actual front AND back of the girl? Come on! Actually, likely one of the best combs I've ever seen for a doll line. 



Okay, they're aptly named. She's definitely my beautiful doll. Gorgeous face. 

She's quite well-made. The outfit is lovely. She has fabric panties on, too, so nicely detailed. 




They did something I'd never seen before and I was so curious about it that I have no photos except it is visible in the boxed pic. They took a thin lock of hair and used it to hold her bangs flat. Then you just tug it loose and tuck it behind her ribbon. It worked really well, though I don't think it would on smaller dolls so much. 



Some of the best constructed fuzzy slippers I've ever seen.




Grif is very interested in this review process. 





There we go. 

So yeah, safe to say I'm impressed. I want my other fave from the line for sure. She's Marissa, the brunette in the blue dress from the side of the box. Might not say no to some others, too. 


PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment