Thursday, March 23, 2017

REVIEW: American Girl Melody Ellison

I didn't take any boxed photos of her or ones with her beadband in, but those are plentiful on Google. I didn't plan on reviewing her, but I figured why not?

I haven't bought myself an American Girl since Beforever Rebecca back in October 2015. I did get Lea this Christmas but that's not a self-purchase.

I've been rereading my AG historical books and I got to Melody. I'd only read part of her first book when it came out and then decided to get back to the reread, so she got put off, because she's more modern and I was rereading chronologically. But I finally made it to her and finished her two "classics." I found both very good and she's a great character, so I decided to get her doll.





I ordered Melody from Amazon, so I got my free Prime 2-day shipping. She arrived on Tuesday.

I'm going to say right off that I am not a fan of the Sonali mold. I just don't care for it on any of the previous dolls that have used it, but for some reason, Melody makes it work. I think it's her face-framing hair.





Melody did have some major box hair. I spent probably an hour working on her hair. I originally wanted to mimic the braided style from the promo pictures of her wearing her PJs. She looks so cute in those pics! But I struggled getting her braids to look right because she has an angled haircut. It's shorter in the back, so you get all these loose bits popping out of the braids and I am just not that good with hair. Or that patient! I did finally manage the braids, but wasn't happy with them. I dressed her in her PJs and tried adorable pigtails, but then decided they didn't look right. My Melody looks a little older to me, so I just kept brushing her hair until it laid how I wanted. I don't like the flip hairstyle for girls that young. I don't care if it's historically accurate or not. I don't like it.




The back still has a little flip, but it's not the exaggerated giant frill.

I tried putting her headband back in, but man, that thing sucks. It has very little give and I hate forcing things over a doll's face, especially an eyelashed doll. I'm going to buy her a couple Alice bands on ebay and try those for a pop of color in her hair.

Her dress is gorgeous. I've liked it since we first saw it. Excellent colors and I love the material. I'm glad that it covers her well, because her body is oddly a lot lighter than her vinyl parts.





I don't really care for the super high white socks, but when I took them off, her shoes fit a bit too loosely for my liking so they're staying on.

Those are my only cons for this doll: badly-designed headband, shoes can't be worn without socks, and body is weirdly light.

Pros: Gorgeous dress in excellent colors, wonderful hair, adorable shoes, best use of the Sonali mold ever.


As mentioned, I also got Melody's pajamas, and they've provided Ivy with her first new outfit in probably 9 years. The PJs are so cute! I love the cut, the color and the pattern. The buttons are a lovely shade and the little Tink-esque shoes! I just love it.

So I give Melody a good recommendation. She'd be a nice addition to an AG collection or the start of one. She's definitely made me want to get another girl soon. Addy will be bought as soon as I can manage it!

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment