Saturday, May 16, 2020

COLLECTION OVERVIEW: Strawberry Shortcake (Bandai)

Bandai took over SSC from 2002-2005. Not my favorite style.

Actually, definitely my LEAST favorite.

Why? Well, I grew up with the vintage dolls, so when Bandai came out and they'd gotten rid of a lot of the characters and changed them all to be more realistic, that just wasn't SSC to me. No pastel hair? No Raspberry or Lime or Lemon? Bah.

I did pick up a few while they were out, but I was never really into them and I think the only thing I have left is a Marmalade figure and these two ragdolls on the left here.

Coco Calypso and Seaberry Delight were introduced near the end of the line and they are annoyingly hard to find. For some reason, the realism of these two doesn't bother me. I like them. So I got their little ragdolls in lieu of the expensive regular dolls. I still have these two.



But as of yesterday, I can also say I have one of the dolls again!

I bought Coco on ebay, picked her up from the package hub on the way to work, opened her when I got home, and then actually took the review pics tonight when I got home.

So this is going to be a collection overview/doll review, because my collection is this small and it's not going to grow. I have Brazilian Seaberry, so I won't overpay for Bandai's and I doubt I'll ever find the mermaid dolls, so there you have it.








Here are all Coco's fashion looks on the back. As you can see, they pulled an MGAE on us and got rid of a lot of the details.






Out of the box in her signature outfit with her towel and cute brush.





Her hair quality isn't poor, but it's on the low end of the SSC options. It's pretty dry and doesn't lay very well.

I do love the tiny braid though and it looks fine if you just keep her hat on.

Definite points for the sandals. I'm always wary of doll sandals, but these stay on impressively well.




The skirt is the cutest non-signature piece of clothing, but it's quite a tight fit, so a couple points off for that.

The shirt is terrible. Very ill-fitting and with the skirt being so tight, it can't be tucked in. If you look at the back of the box, the shirt was supposed to have ruffles at the bottom, which would have made it a lot cuter.






What even is this?

It fits even worse than the yellow top! Is it supposed to be a green apron over a yellow dress or a really weirdly-designed green and yellow dress?

Who knows?








The pink ribbon bows on her straps are the only cute thing about this.






The swimsuit is still ill-fitting, but maybe the best of the extra outfits?

You have to get it on just right though or her white painted-on undies will show, as they do here.




Here she is with it on a little better.

This was supposed to be a one-piece with a yellow ruffle or perhaps one of the two pieces had a ruffle attached. Or the ruffle was completely separate. We'll never know because they scrapped it.

I'm being harsh on her, but I really am pleased to have her after all these years. The doll herself in her sig outfit is adorable.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment