Saturday, May 16, 2020

COLLECTION OVERVIEW: Strawberry Shortcake (THQ 1991)

In 1991, a company called THQ decided to try their hand at SSC. They only produced 9 dolls: 4 of SSC herself and 1 each of 5 friends.

The dolls were dressed in new outfits, but also came with replicas of their original 80s signature fashions. They also came with a cardboard mannequin to wear whichever outfit wasn't being used, and a backdrop with a different scene drawn on each side. Pretty involved for 1991!

I never got into these until 2008-2009. I remember getting them when I lived in NYC.

I didn't photograph the replica outfits and I no longer have the backdrops, but I can show you how cute the dolls are.

For example, just look at Raspberry's curls! The hair on this line for Raspberry and Lemon was phenomenal. And Raspberry looks totally adorable. Her theme was Rock 'n' Berry Roll, which I don't really see in this outfit, but whatevs. It's cute.




Here's Lemon, who looks like she's wearing a slightly fancier version of her original dress. Her theme was Berry Fun Shopping.

Love that hair. I might even like her more than the original Lemon.





Orange has an interesting and lovely layered outfit. Her theme was Dancin' Berry Fun. not sure why she's dancing when Lime also is and it suits Lime more, but eh, the outfit is darling.

I need to fix Orange's hair. It's having some "I've been packed for a year and a half" woes.





Now I love vintage Lime Chiffon, but here she actually looks like a dancer and I absolutely love it. I mean, I've got to favor vintage, but honestly, not by too much.

Her theme is "Dance 'n' Berry-cise" so she's also exercise, but I still question Orange's theme. They couldn't have thought of something for art?





And finally, Blueberry, who is super freakin' cute. I love her. She's Berry Neat Eats, so a bit waitressy and it works for her.

I don't have any of the four SSCs. I should get one.




PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment