Sunday, May 3, 2020

COLLECTION OVERVIEW: Strawberry Shortcake (Vintage 80s)

In preparation for Plum's arrival, I got out almost everything in my SSC collection (need to locate the Bridge Direct ones...) and took new pictures. I figured I'd post overviews of my collection, so here's the vintage section. I'll be adding more as I go along. I'm planning on buying more stuff, so some sections will take a while before they appear.

I've gotta start at the beginning. I can't remember the definite order of my childhood collection, but I'm pretty sure Strawberry herself and Huck were very early arrivals. These are my original childhood pair. I've never bought any others. Huck in particular got a lot of playtime, because he looks like some of the old Ramona Quimby book art and he'd frequently get dressed in other outfits to be my Ramona doll.


I think it's pretty obvious who my favorite was. Poor Lemon looks almost brand new, yet I'm pretty sure I got her before Raspberry. Raspberry was my childhood favorite, so she got played with the most. Her hat is all stretched out.

I used to have a ton of miniatures, but I sold most of them in one giant lot. The ones here are either ones I chose to keep or ones I found thrifting afterwards.

I can't remember when I picked up the sleeping Frappe figure, but isn't he cute?


You know, I can't remember if I liked the younger characters, but I sure ended up with them. The only one here not from childhood is Apple Dumplin', who was either a thrift find or came in a lot. Everyone else is original. Apricot is the only one I really like, although I remember playing with Butter Cookie a lot. I don't know how her poor little face got stained. I think I got Apricot last of the bunch. Naturally, her easily lost booties were easily lost. She's in great shape though otherwise.



Sour Grapes is the last of my true childhood collection, except for some of the small plush pets, which I did not photograph. Pupcake and Gooseberry were my childhood pair, but I have all of the easier to find ones. They're just up in my plushie nets on the walls, so I didn't get them down.

I love Sour Grape. 80s villain dolls were not afraid to be different-looking. I still think she's beautiful. I played with her a lot, too.

I did have the Pieman, but I gave him to one of my exes and never got him back.





Lime is very special to me, because she was a flea market find when I was living outside Orlando in 7th/8th grade. She came in her box with all her stuff, although she wasn't sealed and untouched. She was still practically new though. Her cost? $5. She instantly became my favorite, along with Raspberry.

I fondly remember that toy booth in the flea market. I got my Chipettes Eleanor poseable figure there, too.



I'm going to continue with the older characters first, even though it's jumping out of purchase order. But I can't remember my purchase order for the others exactly, so no big deal.

Adorable Orange Blossom was bought boxed on ebay in 2014. I already had a Marmalade and the sleeping Marmalade to boot.


Blueberry is a bit of an oddity to me, because she was always one of my favorites, yet I never got her in childhood nor was she someone I purchased quickly in my adult collecting days. I can't even tell you why. I looked at her numerous times. I even remember seeing her boxed for $20 or $25 in an antique mall when I was younger, but I didn't want to ask my dad for her. (Same place also had a nude Raya Jem doll that I was also hesitant to ask for. I got my mom to buy me things, not my dad.) I had Cheesecake for a long time before finally acquiring a boxed Blueberry in 2016.





And finally, Angel Cake rounds out the early ones! I just got her on March 7th at the doll show for $25.

As with other characters, I had her pet already. I somehow got all of them, but not the dolls.




Moving on to the international friends, who are my favorites of the entire line. I love all four.

Crepe Suzette is my strong favorite. I'm not sure if it's the unusual outfit or the brown, the cute shoes or the French theme or the Stormer blue hair, but I absolutely adore her. I should get a boxed one someday, but her price right now is annoyingly high.

I'm pretty sure I got this lovely Crepe from a friend. I think I had a more played with version of her before.







I'm not positive, but I almost think I got Cafe Ole before Crepe. Cafe is my second fave. I love her eyes! The outfit is adorable, too, and Burrito is one of the cutest pets.


Almond Tea! I had an incomplete version of her before finally getting this boxed one in 2013.

I don't like her hat on, so I rested it on her head for this photo and then returned it to my accessory storage bag.






And adorable Mint. She was a very lucky antique mall find in 2015. I think I paid $15.





I got Figboot in 2013.


Two of the rare plush pets. Plushies were made of most of the pet friends, but some are rare and some are common. Custard and Pupcake of course are common, as well as Tea Time Turtle, Hopsalot, Jelly Bear and Gooseberry. The rare ones are Cheesecake, Rhubarb, Frappe, Souffle, and these two: Marmalade and Parfait.

I can't remember what year a seller listed all of them. Marmalade jumped out at me as the cutest, so I managed to win him. Parfait I got on etsy in 2013. He's missing the sticker on his collar, but I so don't care. He's adorable. I hope to get the others someday! I do have Melonie Belle in the larger size, but no picture of her.




And here's Party Pleaser Plum Puddin' again to wrap things up.

PHOTO CREDITS: Mine.

1 comment:

  1. Love the nostalgia of these. I remember my sister had some growing up and I used to play with them. I've seen a couple of vintage ones at a local toy show. Didn't check the prices, though. When I worked at toysrus, I used to like organizing the SSC area cause they smelled delicious. I wonder if they make a fragrance line for the dolls, if people would sprits their vintage dolls. Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete