Wednesday, March 29, 2023

REVIEW: Penny's Box Dreamlike Tea Party

There's a new series of blind box BJDs from Penny's Box! As they're little centaurs, I had to preorder them. They arrived from Jane's Dolland a few days ago and I finally got around to fixing them up and taking photos. 

These cost $27.99 per box or a full case of 6 is $167.94. With this you are guaranteed 6 different dolls. Likely, you will get the regular 6, but a few lucky people will get the rare or super rare in place of a regular character. (I doubt any case would have both rares in it.) 


I didn't leave any undressed in the photos. I'm honestly too tired to do as thorough a review as I usually try to do. (Pollen....aaaagghhh.) There are pics of these all over IG though, so they won't be hard to find. 

Each one comes with a little dress, a tail, and a pair of wings. 


Mine also each had two pairs of extra hands in different poses. I'm not brave enough to try to put them on. The hooks are so tiny! 

So this is the tan girl. I love her. She's one of my four faves. 

Going by the translations on Jane's Dolland, her name is Champagne. 



Continuing in alphabetical order, this is Fantasy. 

I don't love her, but I do like her. Her hair is a really neat material. 


Mostly, these dolls are pros: detailed, highly poseable (even the hooves move!), beautiful faces, excellent colors. 

However, this series has two cons the first series did not. 

The biggest con is those tails. Of the six dolls I have, only ONE doll was able to keep her tail in. The others were either unstable or the tail refused to stay on at all. They're on pegs that go into a hole on the butt. I get that they wanted to keep the tails jointed for posing, but they could have used magnets like they did for the wings. Then you would have had to pose the tail first and pop it into the magnet, but it would have been better than them not staying put at all. 

As I'm not planning on selling any of them, I decided to glue the pegs into the holes. It worked perfectly and I can still move them all just fine. 



I'll get to my second con in a bit. Right now, let's just look at how cute she is. 



This is Memory. I like that name. 



I like her a lot. All the browns. I actually really love browns on Asian dolls. I don't know why exactly. The companies must just design better with mostly brown themes than American doll companies do. 



Little pigtails. 



Okay, here's Neon. Now we get to my second con: wobbly heads. They don't all have them, but Neon has an extremely wobbly head. 

Of course she does. She's my favorite one. 

However, because she's got sassitude, the head tilt works for her. 




Her head is definitely quite top heavy, but so are some of the others and they don't all have issues. 



Sasssssss.



Here's Ponder. I adore her, too. 

She's also got a bit of head wobble, but not as bad as Neon. 



Super adorable. I love her colors. 



Agh, the cuteness. 


Here's the last one, Sweet Dream. 

She's cute, but definitely my least fave. So pink. 



I like the lighter bits in her hair. 



And how they sculpted her hairstyle. 

She's cute. I like her but don't love her. 


Here's a quick shot of Neon meeting Bunny and Wolf. 

Overall, I think these are still worth the money, even with the quality control flaws. It's pretty bad if your pieces won't stay on your dolls, but $28 is still really cheap for such a detailed BJD. And they're centaurs! 

PHOTO CREDIT: Mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment